Thursday, August 26, 2010

Papua New Guinea

Born in a country as beautiful as PNG is such a blessing. The culture, traditions and people are unique to the rest of the world. Growing up, I  quickly adapted to two world's: one which people now refer to as the concrete jungle and the other which is purely nature at it's best. 

These photos were taken from a recent trip back home to the Highlands of PNG. I traveled the highway from Goroka to Simbu to Mt Hagen. In Mt Hagen I was able to go to the annual Mt Hagen Show and some of the photos of people in their traditional attire were taken from my day out at the Kagamuga Show ground. I know I am slightly biased but I must say that the best dressed were the highlanders themselves. The head dress on these Simbu women, the shells/ necklaces and trademark facial paint on the Hagen women, the beautiful layer (yakaip yambiel) that the Engans wear as part of their traditional dress, the Huli men who have so capture the world with their costume.................See the diversity?? See the beauty in it all?? 

Every year there are shows like this but not only in Mount Hagen, also in Enga, Goroka, Rabaul, Port Moresby and other provinces throughout PNG.
That's PNG for you my friend.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How gorgeous is that little boy? Wait, em gal or boy?
    Oh and totally love the show pics!! Memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful little boy from Simbu - he happened to be following me everywhere so I had to take a photo of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce these photos are absolutely gorgeous! The traditional costumes range from amazing to alarming - a great way to showcase the beauty, diversity and uniqueness of the PNG people and geography. You make a great ambassador-slash-travel brochure for PNG!

    Pia xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are great Joyce! Ps. Love the photo of Tai's son!

    ReplyDelete